Von Ormy, Texas, prior to it's incorporation in 2008, was an unincorporated community in Southwest Bexar County. The historic town center today lies near I-35 and Benton City Road. During the Spanish colonial era, Von Ormy sprang up along the natural crossing point of the Medina River on the Camino Real between San Antonio and Saltillo. Von Ormy was known then as "Paso de las Garza's" or "Garza's Crossing". After the War for Texas Independence (1836) the town was known as "Mann's Crossing". And finally on December 4, 1886 the city changed its name to "Von Ormy" in honor of Prussian Count Norbert Von Ormay, who moved to the city that year. A year later Count Von Ormay and his court mysteriously disappeared, but the name remained.
Von Ormy has co-existed with San Antonio for nearly two-hundred years and during that time Von Ormy has maintained a distinct historic and social identity. During the War for Texas Independence, the residents of Von Ormy came to the aid and assistance of our neighbors in San Antonio. During the Battle of Concepcion, Von Ormian Juan Martinez and others reinforced Texian forces under command of iCol. Jim Bowie and Col. James Fannin who were pinned down along the San Antonio River by Mexican forces. Von Ormian Blas Herrera rode hurriedly to San Antonio to warn the defenders of the Alamo of the approach of Santa Ana upon seeing the approach of the Mexican Army into Von Ormy. Von Ormian "Deaf" Smith, served the Republic heroically as a spy during the war and a Texas County was named in honor of him (Deaf Smith County). And after Texas won its independence the alcalde (mayor) of San Antonio, Jose Antonio Ruiz, sought and received refuge in Von Ormy, where he lived the remainder of his days and was buried.
The oldest church in Von Ormy was founded in 1836 as Santisima Trinidad Catholic Church, the parish exists today though renamed Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The town's first post office opened in 1872 and the town now has its own zip code (78073). In 1906, the first bridge over the Medina River at Von Ormy was built by the International & Great Northern Railroad. In 1914, the town had two grocers, a general store, a cotton gin, and a population of 350. In 1946 the population was still 350. The Von Ormy School closed in 1956 when Southwest ISD was formed by area residents. The school taught the children of Von Ormy for nearly 50 years. Since that time the population has grown slowly, and in 1990 Von Ormy had over twenty businesses. In 2007, construction began on a Union Pacific Terminal in Von Ormy.
Von Ormy Flag
The left 1/3 is a blue field with a white star with the letters T-E-X-A-S interlaced between the points of the star. This design was borrowed from the first provisional flag of the Republic of Texas designed by Lorenzo de Zavala. This memorializes those brave Von Ormians who have fought for liberty from the time of the Texas War for Independence to the present day. The right 2/3 is a white field with a Prussian Double Headed Eagle. The white field represents purity, innocence and trust, and memorializes the insistence that the government of Von Ormy when formed was and still remains for the benefit of all and not the profit of a few. The Prussian eagle is in honor of Count Norbert Von Ormay, our community's namesake. It is double headed to represent our community's dual heritage: American and Mexican, since both counties use the eagle as a symbol of their nation. The eagle holds a sword to remind us that freedom comes at the price of being forever vigilant to defend it. The banner above the eagle says "Von Ormy, Texas". The banner below says "Libertas, Fides et Familia" meaning "Liberty, Faith and Family". The flag was designed by Art Martinez de Vara and is available for purchase from the Dixie Flag Company in San Antonio, TX.